Monday, March 4, 2013

Peace Corps Experience


When I first got accepted to join the United States Peace Corps in early 2011, I had no idea what to expect. All I knew at that time was that I was going to be living the next two years in the Republic of Moldova. Upon arrival in Moldova, I noticed an immensely different world then the one I had been living in. Everyone in Moldova was so welcoming and accepting of my presence. Country nationals were showing me where to go and helping answer any questions they could in English.


Across my first several months in Moldova, I had experienced many difficulties with learning the native language, Romanian, and becoming acquainted with the territory. However, the host family that I lived with helped me to integrate and learn about the rich culture and traditions present in this country. In addition the school I currently work for has also introduced me to the many holidays and events that take place specifically in Moldova.

At this point, with only a few months left in country, I could not be happier with my experience. I have had the fortunate opportunity to see a land completely different from my own and see the diverse culture that exists in Easter Europe. The most important part of life is to travel and to meet new cultures, because without this, we would be all alone in this vast world.






By Matt Greenley
Florida, USA

Arabic Version




No comments:

Post a Comment